Tuesday, August 19, 2003

The Grim Reaper

What happens to us when we die? This could be a really short commentary because nobody really knows for sure.

Christians will be the first to stand up and proclaim you go to heaven to meet JC and the boys. Some believe you will reincarnate into another life form. Still others think we merely leave our bodies as wisps of vapor and float around until we are called upon again to inhabit another baby.

What do I think? For once, I’m not certain. Oh, I have some theories. Those that know me are well aware that there is little I don’t have an opinion on. To be perfectly honest with you, I have no clue what happens to us when we depart for the happy hunting ground.

I’d like to think there was some happy place where we all go and get to rule over our own planet, or get a harem of a hundred of virgins. Then reality creeps into the picture and I think that when we die, we just…well…die.

When I finally cease to be a burden to my family I want to be cremated. I think the Native Americans had the right idea. What sense does it make to get placed into a box and buried six feet underground? So that others can come and look at the headstone and cry on your birthday? How silly is that?

My mother is upset that I don’t want to be buried, but I hope I outlive her so she won’t be too upset over the fact that I won’t be taking up residence among the critters of the underworld. I’m talking worms and beetles, not demons or devils. Instead, I will be burnt to ash, and perhaps dumped into the ocean to have my remains placed back into nature. Even in death, I wish to be of some use. No need to hang onto my ashes in an urn forever. What good will I be doing in there?

When we die, I’m betting that our soul, life force, or whatever it’s called, leaves our bodies and goes back into the mix. The Force if you will. From there who knows where we’ll end up. It would be cool to be aware of cruising around without a physical body, but I think we sort of loose most of our realization that we are even alive. Would we still be alive then? Hmmm, I wonder?

I truly hope that when we die, we’re all cognizant of the fact and can all meet again and have a huge gathering of friendly vapors. Since we’re not sure, let’s all live for the now. Be friendly and nice to all you know and encounter. After all, you could be stuck with them for all eternity!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Politics and Common Sense

  I realize the two terms seem at odds with each other, but let me explain where I am going with this.   During President Trump’s ter...