Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Why Are We Here?

Life is an interesting thing to ponder. Not only the lives of human beings, but animals as well.

What is it that drives us to go on day after day?

Animals have an instinct for survival, they really don't sit and wonder why they are here. They live day to day eating, drinking, breeding and fighting without really giving it much thought.

People, on the other hand, go beyond instincts. Perhaps it is our intelligence that has helped us cope with questioning our place on this planet, or allowed us to create mental shields to prevent insanity to creep in if we do.

When civilization was young we had the ability to wonder why we were here, but no knowledge to answer such a cosmic question. As humans formed into groups to enhance their chance of survival, there had to be pressure for their leaders to explain the mysteries of life.

Science was way out of the grasp of these ancient wisemen, yet they needed an answer for their followers.

Enter religion.


The leaders of the ancient cultures came up with the only answers they could, they made stuff up. Tales abound throughout history of all manner of gods, goddesses, and other spiritial beings in an effort by man to explain the unexplainable.

These stories were told for so long that they were believed to be true. After all, the wisemen and leaders of mankind would not lie to their people.

We now know that the Sun and the Moon do not rise and fall at the whim of the gods. Our weather is not controlled by sacrafices, and people do not get sick because the spirits are angry.

Many of you who are with me so far are about to tune me out, get upset, and maybe even stop reading.

People have been under the influence of religion for so long and believe in these stories so strongly that they are willing to kill, and die, for these creations of ancient man.

We no longer fear the biological events that once demanded an explanation, yet society still cannot accept the fact that human beings are in control of their own lives and nothing more.

It seems to me that the next logical step is for people to realize that there is no supreme being guiding their lives and determining their destiny. This is already starting to happen.

Unfortunately, before many people will arrive at what to me is an obvious conclusion, they will bounce around to other religions trying to discover something that is not there.

If you're still reading and have not ran away screaming "Blasphemere!", then at the very least you are thinking I don't know what I'm talking about.

I think your anger and denial is preventing you from seeing the truth in what I say. Think about your belief system and compare it to all the other religions of the world, old and new. Can you say with a clear conscience that your belief is the only true one and all the rest are made up?

Why then are we here on this planet if not for some divine purpose? Alien experiments I tell you!

We're here because that is how we evolved, nothing more, nothing less. We just happen to be a species that was lucky enough to make it to a position near the top of the food chain. It's our intelect that got us where we are today, just like it was our intelect that helped us cope with scary questions thousands of years ago.

Since we are no longer afraid of the dark, it's time more of you step into the light and drop silly superstitions.

12 comments:

  1. "Think about your belief system and compare it to all the other religions of the world, old and new. Can you say with a clear conscience that your belief is the only true one and all the rest are made up?"

    Why not, that is what you just did in this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made up that I don't believe in made up religions?

    Hmmm

    As usual, I remain in a state of confusion... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In this post, you think about your belief system and compare it to all other religions of the world, old and new, and say (I presume with a clear conscience) that your belief is the only true one and all the rest are made up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, now I see your point.

    It does sound a bit like the same thing although my position is not that my ficticious belief system is better then yours, rather your ficticious belief system makes no sense to me.

    Not that I'm singling you out Dave, none of the religions make 100% sense to me. They all have a few things that require me to suspend my grasp on reality. I'm not willing to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One could say that not beliving in God is believing in a fictious 'religion'. After all, if He really exists, then to belive in a world w/o him is to belive in fiction. This coin has two sides.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those who believe strongly in Religion, for a personal conversion point of view, rather than holding childhood faith or finding Religion vaguely comforting, report feeling a personal connection, with the divine.

    If someone were to experience such a thing, denying it would seem to be denying reality.

    There have been enough witnesses of this phenomenon, and the observable effects on people who claim to have expirienced such a phenomen (and I don't necessarily count those who loudly proclaim of being 'born again' necessarily those people) that do deny something exists, and that is it powerful seems profoundly illogical and not based in reality.

    Now, one could argue that this is a psycological phenomena that is explainable in a variety of ways. Fair enough. But the only true test of such a theory I think would be to honestly, and profoundly seek such an expirience yourself. Most religions claim that this is a repeatable test, albeit on a personal, private level and they prescribe exactly how one would perform such a test.

    I don't know if you have honestly sought such an expirience or not (going through the motions to 'prove' it doesn't work wouldn't count) but if you have not, then it would seem your position isn't as rational as you would like to believe.

    I am not interested in proselytizing in any form. I think you can be perfectly content without performing such a test, and that is your choice. I would though caution humility about this subject if you have not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. tsykoduk said, “...if He really exists...”

    I believe this is what prompts the thought that God is merely fictional. The lack of proof that a supreme deity exists lends itself to my belief, or lack thereof. Obviously if two schools of thought are at odds with one another then there will be no conclusion that can be agreed upon. A religion is all relative to which side of the coin you are viewing.

    Dave Justus writes, “Those who believe strongly in Religion, for a personal conversion point of view, rather than holding childhood faith or finding Religion vaguely comforting, report feeling a personal connection, with the divine.

    If someone were to experience such a thing, denying it would seem to be denying reality.”


    So what you're saying is that if delusional people, say those who walk around at U.F.O. conventions wrapped in tin-foil, truly believe in their delusion and have experienced some sort of personal connection to the same, then their delusions now become reality?

    As you say, “...would seem to be denying reality.” So is this denying reality, or someones deluded perception of reality?

    Dave goes on to say, “I don't know if you have honestly sought such an expirience or not (going through the motions to 'prove' it doesn't work wouldn't count) but if you have not, then it would seem your position isn't as rational as you would like to believe.”

    I was born into a religious home. We attended church and Sunday school, and it wasn't until later in life that I began questioning the reasons behind religion and my faith. Personally I was messed up for a while with why I was so different then everyone else. I had several meetings with our clergy trying to understand why I seemingly just didn't get it.

    After years of searching I have come to the conclusions I now share with anyone who wishes to discuss them. I have no agenda to stamp out religion, or any other such nonsense. In fact, I think that the Christian faith has a lot going for it and would have no problem living in a Christian dominated world.

    My degree is from Wayland Baptist University, and I have probably studied the Bible and the Christian faith more then the average Christian. My wife is still a devout Southern Baptist, and yes, the discussions in our home are frightening sometimes.

    Just a little background on me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. To clarify my perception line, I was saying that the person who expirienced the communion with god would seem to be denying reality if the denied their own perceptions.

    What is reality if it is not what we expirience? Yes, a person could be deluded or mad, but if you are mad is it more mad to act as a madman or more mad to pretend you are sane?

    I you were to honestly percieve that you heard aliens, would it be more logical to believe or doubt your own perceptions?

    That is a tough question. I would probably choose to believe my perceptions, as I would rather be mad but consistant, than mad and lying to myself :)

    However, if you claimed to hear aliens, and then 'invented' an anti-matter power source after the aliens told you how I would certainly be willing to entertain the idea that you were telling the truth.

    Similarly, if even 10% of the population was able the hear aliens, I wouldn't necessarily deny that they were expiriencing reality just because I couldn't hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see dead people... ;)

    I will concede that people have the right to believe in their own perceptions of the world. As such, I'm certain on this topic that you and I can agree to disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have absolutely no problem with you believing what you want.

    All I suggest is a certain caution in believing that becuase you believe something it must be true.

    Obviously we must all act on what we believe is true, but I think it is important not to close one's mind to the possibility that we may be wrong. Even when we are sure of something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of my favorite sayings is, "Your mind is like a parachute. It
    doesn't work if it's not open." Not sure who that is a quote from.

    It is exactly my open-mindedness that keeps me studying a variety of
    different religions, the possibility of aliens, and many other
    mysteries. This is also why I enjoy discussing all manner of strange
    topics with others who truly enjoy the process of discussion.

    Unfortunately, too many folks just want to take their box of crayons
    and go home to safety in the seclusion.

    Luckily, there are a few people who will stay and attempt to explain
    their viewpoints with me. I truly believe that the more I discuss
    such things with others the deeper insight I have as to what they
    believe, regardless of the path they have chosen for themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Politics and Common Sense

  I realize the two terms seem at odds with each other, but let me explain where I am going with this.   During President Trump’s ter...