Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Watching Watchmen

Last night I went to see the new DC comic movie, Watchmen. Let me start by getting some house-cleaning out of the way.

This movie is rated "R" for a reason. It depicts extremely violent and horrible violence as well as several nude scenes, including one of the main characters that has a large amount of screen time walking around naked with his penis swaying back and forth.

Although I have not read the Watchmen series, I am told it was a dark and violent adult themed series, so I am guessing the movie is spot on in how it was made. Just be warned that this is not a movie to take the kids to, maybe not even some older kids. I recommend you go and screen the film first, then make your own decision on whether or not you want your younglings to see it.

Now that the disclaimer is over, let me dig into the movie itself.

I felt the movie started out a bit slow. After about an hour into the movie I began looking at my watch wondering when it was going to end. It did start to pick up speed toward the end, but it seemed like it just took too long to get its momentum going.

The music was an interesting choice as well. Some of the songs were different, and I may be seeking out the soundtrack due to the interesting mix of music. You'll recognize some of the tunes, some of which left me scratching my head wondering if this was a movie made to be able to use these songs, since they were added in some strange places and a bit loud like it was a music video in the middle of a movie.

One line I thought was funny in the movie was when Rorschach was sent to prison. Many of the inmates in prison he helped to put in there, so they were looking for some payback. At one point he yells, "You've got it all wrong. I'm not locked in here with you, you're all locked in here with me".

This is definitely a more cerebral film in that it brings up a lot of questions about humanity. Is it worth saving? What value does it bring to the table? Are some actions justified no matter what extreme it takes to make them happen? And how creepy can you make President Nixon look?

I recommend this movie for the true comic book fan, as long as you're not exceptionally squeamish when you see gore on screen, or you don't mind seeing a hot girl get naked. The giant blue penis is a bit frightening, but after the initial creep out, I just ignored it, or at least tried to.

If you go and see it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the movie...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Politics and Common Sense

  I realize the two terms seem at odds with each other, but let me explain where I am going with this.   During President Trump’s ter...