Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A Man I Knew Died Today

A man I knew died today.

I was working late when the news came in. It was a heart attack at around noon. He was 57 years old, and just retired a month earlier.

He was a good man, who enjoyed life, people, and a good laugh.

When visiting him at his desk I was always amazed at his knowledge, and his outlook on life. He enjoyed reading, and seemed to know everything about history and religion. Because of this I often tried to coax him into joining my website so we could dive deep into discussions, but he was never much of a computer person.

On the day he retired he was given a large red rocking chair, and looked very at home sitting in it with a grin from ear to ear.

Although I have only known him for about three years, the news of his passing hit me like a 2x4 between the eyes. I liked him, enjoyed his company, and welcomed his manner as he spoke about life and living.

Someone was removed from life who really enjoyed it and there is no amount of pondering that can explain why. There is never any rhyme or reason when it comes to death. The man is gone, but his life will forever be remembered by those of us he has associated with.

The important thing is that this man was loved by many, and had touched more lives then I could explain here. I know that for the rest of my days I will always remember the brief time we had spent together locked in debate about life, the universe, and everything.

It was an honor to know this man, and to get to share in his wisdom if only for a short time. Would he have known of the impact he left in my life just from our acquaintance? Probably not, but then again, I believe it shows that how you live your life day to day can affect many people you would not even think of.

Go out into the world to work and play. Spend as much time with your family as you can, because each and every day is precious. More importantly, take a moment to remember those who have passed. Not to dwell on the sad times, but reflect on the good times. Think of them and smile. That is what they would want you to do.

A man I knew died today, and he will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Politics and Common Sense

  I realize the two terms seem at odds with each other, but let me explain where I am going with this.   During President Trump’s ter...