Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Uninformed Masses

I tend not to argue with the uniformed much these days. It's too exhausting.

No matter the topic there are some people who like to argue while wielding a weapon fashioned from stupidity.

Most topics that interest me, such as religion, politics, scuba diving, etc... I research well. It's not because I'm trying to be a know-it-all, it's because I want to be well informed in things that I find important in life.

Of course, some say I am well-informed about many meaningless topics too, and that's probably true. My family can verify, I read all the time, and some of the choices just make them scratch their head.

What's the point of this ramble? Why am I discussing reading and knowledge? Because it's extremely important.

My kids have been raised to love reading. My philosophy with my daughters is that if they can read and write well, they can do anything they want.

I've known too many people who have not written anything since they have graduated high school. Or the only thing they write is their signature in their checkbook. That's sad.

With today's technology there are people who have criticized things like email and text messaging claiming that this is removing the personal contact between people.

I feel just the opposite is occurring.

If anything, the technology is helping us stay in touch with people better then ever before! Add to this the benefit of people reading and writing more then they used to, and it's a win, win situation!

Being a consummate geek I have accounts on many different services. I had a Facebook account for a long time but did not use it much until a friend from my old neighborhood looked me up and added me to her list. I then found others from our neighborhood, and then many folks from my high school. I'm currently friends with many people I have not spoke to in about 20-30 years! How cool is that? And it's all because of technology and the knowledge it brings.

So yes, you can sit in your house alone and grumble that you don't do email, or text, or interact with anyone in any fashion using technology because it's evil and will ruin society.

It's your right to do so!

My recommendation for you is to do the opposite. Get a nice computer, sign up for Facebook, search for your friends (if you still have any you grumpy recluse), and join the rest of the planet that is embracing the new era.

Don't want to be social? That's fine too!

Hop on Google or Wikipedia and research whatever interests you.

Do you like old cars? How about Flying? Or what about your secret attraction to salt and pepper shakers? You can find a ton of things online!

It's never too late to learn something new, and you're never too old to start.

Unless, of course, you're just a whinny-butt pain that is hosting your own pity party!

Come on in, the technology is fine, and we're all waiting for you.

The network world is a surprisingly friendly place. Even old grumpy farts like you will find fun and information you can relate to.

hmmm, this article took a turn in a completely wrong direction then how I started it. The initial intent was to complain about people who argue without really knowing any of the facts on the topic they are arguing about. Instead, I took a right turn someplace along the way and went off on folks who are anti-technology.

I thought about breaking this up into two separate articles, but the heck with it. After all, these articles are my ramblings, and that's exactly what this is.

Besides, you get what you pay for! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Politics and Common Sense

  I realize the two terms seem at odds with each other, but let me explain where I am going with this.   During President Trump’s ter...